The land of Kerala has been the first landing site of many cultures and religions into the Indian shores.
RV Vaikundam – Nine Cabin
About RV Vaikundam
RV Vaikundam has nine well-appointed cabins with attached bathrooms on the lower deck and, a well-functional kitchen, air-conditioned and exquisitely set dining hall and open lounge on its upper deck.
Vaikundam is a modified version of the traditional Kettuvallom or rice barges of the past. The rooms are made using wooden panels, bamboo poles and bamboo mats, following the traditional practices but contain all modern amenities.
The wooden hull of the boat is made by joining planks of local wood ‘Aanjili,’ using strong coir rope on the segments above the waterline. The wood is coated with a caustic black resin made by boiling cashew kernel and fish oil. The wood is periodically treated with the Neem oil and Fish oil.
North – South
Starting from ₹ 150,500
South – North
Starting from ₹ 150,500
Thottappalli – Kumarakom
Starting from ₹ 64,500
Thottappalli – Thottappalli
Starting from ₹ 43,000
- The boat has two decks. The upper deck offers the open sun deck with a 360 degree view, an open lounge deck looking forward and an indoor, air-conditioned restaurant seating 22 guests
- There is a small onboard library
- Indian and international cuisine is offered on board in the restaurant
- The lower deck has nine cabins with the first cabin being the deluxe cabin and the balance eight being superior cabins. All cabins are air-conditioned with en-suite washroom and toilet facilities.
- Each cabin has large windows, have twin and double beds, a cupboard and side tables.
- The electricity is run 24X7 and there is always running hot and cold water.
- There is an on-board destination manager, cruise director and chef and there is a complete crew of ten people for eighteen guests. There are plans in 2019 summers to add a sun deck running the full length of the top roof with sunbathing chairs to give greater open air experience in this tropical destination.
Food and Dining On Board
- Well equipped kitchen managed by experienced Chef and service team.
- Buffet Menu: Traditional Indian cuisines Vegetarian and non-vegetarian Indian food using locally available fresh products.
- Beverages: Authentic Indian Wine and beer is available onboard – prior notice is required.
- A special chef’s meal is arranged serving Kerala Cuisine with fresh catch of seafood in a traditional style on a banana leaf.
On Board Experiences
- Live Music: Local instrumentalists of the Thamburu , Flute and Tabla can be arranged on request
- Art: Local mural painters can be invited aboard for demonstration on request
- Entertainment: Board game and playing cards selection
- Shopping: Onboard outlet to buy coir coasters,wooden caparisoned elephants and fresh spices.
- Culinary: The following cooking demos curated by our onboard chef can be organised on prior request:
- Food in Toddy Shops
- Street Food of Kerala
- Ayurveda Inspired Cuisines
- Kerala Dumplings
Health and Spa
In order to experience the ancient holistic health practices which are still prevailing, we recommend the following off-board wellness experiences:
- Yoga & Meditation for inner wellbeing – A professional Yoga master will demonstrate the basics.
- Authentic Ayurveda: A traditional doctor, gives a talk on Ashtangahridayam – the practical, user friendly interpretation of Ayurveda, compiled by the great Sage Vagbata that’s extensively used in Kerala.
The Vaidyars/ traditional Ayurveda practitioners of Kerala are proficient in this most contemporary treatise of Ayurveda which many scholars consider an advancement over the earlier samhitas of Charaka and Sushruta, the pioneers of Ayurveda. The medicines are hygienically prepared using the herbs locally available.
Guests can choose to get a massage recommended by a doctor. While these massage are not allowed on board, they can be offered at authentic centres on the shore.
Traditional Fitness Practices:
Guests have the option of the following off-board activities 1.5 hours before breakfast:
- Essential Yoga Practices
- Walk in the Morning